Monday, November 23, 2009

Holiday thought...

So I was flipping around radio stations because of commercials earlier, and one of our stations is already playing Christmas music. They started this past Thursday and they play only Christmas music through Christmas. Well as I paused to see what was on this station, the name of the next "song" caught my ear. It was called "A Soldier's Silent Night". It was the music of silent night playing in the background while an older gentleman read the poem of The Night Before Christmas, but with different words. Now I love Christmas and Thanksgiving (just the holidays in general), and of course there are always bad days, but I love being able to be around family, and everyone tends to have a friendly demeanor. As I listened to this song thought I got kind of sad. I can think of at least eight friends who are in the military is some form (Marines, Army, and Air Force). All are on active duty. One is serving in Afghanistan right now, one just got back from Afghanistan, one is on a world tour, and one just graduated from ranger school for the army, which means he will possibly get deployed soon. As I listened to this poem I realized that I am very lucky that as of yet, none of my friends have been hurt or worse in their line of duty. My friend Zac, who is in Afghanistan right now, I haven't heard anything about his safety from his wife in a few months (she used to update her status every time she talked to him, but not so much anymore), but I'm pretty sure he's due home pretty soon. I think the Marines only due 6 month tours, which means he might be home for Christmas.

However, I think it is important to remember all the Soldiers, Marines, and Air Men/Women who won't be home for Christmas and all the families that are missing them. We are all happy and safe because of those brave men and women. So as you are thinking of things to be thankful for and who you need to buy gifts for and how much money you should spend and who you get to see this Holiday season, take a moment to think of those who won't be home this year and be thankful for them. That's all.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Very profound, Kirsten.