Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ole Miss vs. Memphis

Ok, so I am having a huge problem deciding which law school to go to. I have narrowed it down to two schools (a feat I thought would make life easier, but has turned out to make it difficult). I have made my pro/con lists, I have visited both schools (twice after this Friday), I have done the math about how much I will have to borrow, AND how much I will have to pay a month after I graduate to pay each loan off in 10 years. I told myself I would make a decision by Easter, but now Easter has come and gone and I am still no closer to a decision. As I start to lean one way, something will be said, or I'll remember something, etc... and then all of a sudden I'm leaning the other way. I will have to reach a decision this weekend. My seat deposits are due one week from today. I'm sure I would be happy at either place, and so in theory, I could just flip a coin, and go with that. Somehow, I don't think that's the best way to pick a law school though. So here I am in an endless debate with myself on where to go, with the decision date looming ever so close. In the mean time here are some of the pros and cons I am considering for each school.

Pros for Memphis include: close to home, I know people and the area, it's cheaper by about $10,000, good bar passage/employment rate, brand new campus, and lots of study space.
Pros for Ole Miss include: better cost of living, close to home, but not home, big school amenities, lots of practical experience to choose from, they will have a new building come Christmas, they also have a good bar passage/employment rate.
Cons for Memphis include: It's close to home, live downtown, fewer options for classes, and the curriculum is more structured than most other law schools.
Cons for Ole Miss include: it's a big campus, it's expensive if i don't establish residency, and I'd have to start over again.

No comments: