Saturday, July 24, 2010

finances

So I have worked for over a year now. I made about $12,000 for the whole year (not too bad I think). So to help myself out, I put $6000 into investments and have made a pledge not to touch it until I graduate (unless it drops below my stop point. Hopefully, it won't do that). At the point, I put about $1000 in my checking and everything else in my Savings. So here's the thing... I've been saving most of this to help me out with things I would want/need to buy for school, like furniture (I did find that great deal on the bed), and that was hard seeing my account drop like that, then there was the bathroom stuff, then there were the storage boxes I got for when I was cleaning out my room, then I had to buy a desk and chair, then I had to move money over to my new account to cover my first month's rent, then I had to buy my books! I mean, I will reimburse myself for the rent and books once I get my loans, but, I don't get that for another month! And I'm slowly seeing my bank account go down, down, down, and did I mention down???
I still, kinda have income, because I've been working two days a week in the kitchen, but I'd forgotten how hard it was not to have cash at the ready. It's been a long time since I've worked something other than serving. I am by no means broke, and of course my parents would help me if it's really something I needed, but it's more a matter of pride. I worked so hard for that money! I dealt with people! (and for anyone who's ever done that, you know what I mean.) So here I am, a month left, and I think I've bought everything that I will need until the loan money comes in (except maybe a pre-stainer for when I stain my chest). I got out some cash today and have limited myself to that. That's all I get until my loans come in (for fun stuff that is, ie going out to dinner with friends, or going out period, shopping, random things I see that I want to buy). Hopefully, this will work, because I've had my fun... now it's time to live on a budget! I know how, I just don't like to (i'm sure many people have the same feelings).

No comments: