Friday, March 27, 2009

Some random thoughts....

So i'm in a contemplative mood today. I've got two more shifts at the Roadhouse (at least for now) and i have some thoughts on people going out to eat, and some observances. First of all, and the big one... If you don't have the money to tip your server at least 15% then don't go out to eat. The old saying, Servers live and die by their tips is true. I make $2.13 an hour, I work about 21 hours a week, which should equal $84 every two weeks, but I claim my tips at the end of the night, and the governement takes taxes out of my paycheck for those. usually my paychecks are between $4 and $7.

Wednesday I got $8 on $96 and $0 on $27. I believe myself to be a pretty good server. I feel like I'm attentive, sometimes I'm scatterbrained and will occassionally forget something that a customer asks me for, but they usually remind me, I apologize, and I get it right away. I once got a crappy tip becuase the customer had to ask for a refill. I had three other tables, and because they had to ask me for a refill (at the end of their meal, after they were done, I might add) they only gave me like 5%. People who demand perfection of their servers will usually get disappointed. I try my hardest to be the best for my customers because ultimately they decide my future, which is a scary thought. Your livelihood depends on complete strangers and you being nice to them. I think that is kind of a lesson for life. The golden rule at it's finest, treat others as you would want to be treated.

How people treat their servers. That's a different story all together. I have my share of fun and nice customers. For example, last night a man and his wife came in and we kind of laughed and joked around, and when i ran his credit card I looked at the name (I try and call people by their names when I return their card, if i can pronounce it). His name was John Johns. When I asked him about it, he started laughing, which made me and his wife laugh. It was a good way to end the night, with a good laugh.

Also, last week, I had 4 guys come in from Louisville, they were in town on business, Jerry, Joey, Mike, and I forget the 4th. Anyways, They came in right as I got closed, so when I got done with my cloisng stuff (and even during) I just chatted with them. Well this week, they came in again, and I saw them as I was checking out, so After I clocked out I went over to say hey, and they were like, can we buy you a beer? so I chatted with them again. They came in again last night, also, right as I got off, so I sat and chatted with them. Customers like that, who are fun to hang with are so cool.

But what goes around comes around, and every once in a while you get those customers who you just want to strangle. You get those people who come in and think they are better than you because you are serving them. There's a saying in the industry, if you get a compliment, then you get a cheap tip. There are exceptions to the rule, but usually if someone is like, oh you were a great server we loved you, etc... they give you 10% or less, it's like they believe the compliment is part of your tip, or they feel guilty because they can't really tip that much. Then you get the people who hardley talk to you. Before you even greet them, they're already telling you what they want to drink and eat, or they're on the phone holding up a finger. If you go out to eat, stay off your phone... that's just as rude as talking on the phone at the dinner table at home!

My biggest pet peeve, although I don't get this as much in Evansville as I did in Memphis, but it still does happen every once in a while, happen during Sunday morning shifts. Now, I am a Christian, I have been all my life. At Texas Roadhouse, you have to be able to work a Sunday shift, either morning or afternoon, because no one wants to work them. Well I can't work the nigth shift, so I work the morning shift. Family, I love you, and I don't mean this to be offensive or mean in anyway, but churchgoers are the WORST cumtomers to have! I would say about 9 out of 10 churchgoers are 10% tippers, act like they're better than everyone else, and leave you little pamphlets that say "have you found God?" I'm sorry, but just because I work Sunday mornings does not mean I am a horrible person. Like I said, i don't get that as much in Evansville as I did in Memphis. In Memphis, you'd be lucky to walk out of a Sunday shift (morning or night) with more than $30 and less than 4 flyers. In Evansville, I can usually walk out of the morning shift with at least $50 and no flyers, so that's nice.

Those are just some of my thoughts on serving. Things I've noticed and stuff. I have a lot more as well actually, but I think I'll leave those for another day. Have a great Friday!

1 comment:

SWTrigal said...

As an ex waitress and mom of waitresses/waiters, I can only say-AMEN! I do not think everyone realizes that you guys get paid NOTHING practically..and that tips are everything. Especially with old folks? (they are still on the 10% rule I think). I have never given less than 15%, usually 20%. The only time I have ever given less is with REALLY crappy attitude wait staff. Sometimes crappy service has nothing to do with the poor waiter but the kitchen..this is poor management. Maybe restaurants need to have signs up like the airport shuttle folks do "I live on my tips" kind of thing..
Listen-this experience has been valuable for you, beleive me! It will make you appreciate every job you have from here forwars, I'll bet!