Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last full week in Cambridge :(

So, my time here is rapidly coming to a close (I am not too happy about this). Everyone's trying to get in things they haven't had a chance to do. For me that includes punting in the Cam and maybe a Shakespeare Festival play. For others it means jumping into the Cam and streaking across Downing College's lawn. :) I am sad to see it end.

This week I had fewer classes each day, which is another sign that not only is it coming to an end, but now I have finals (or as a friend back in the States put it, an annoying period that puts a damper on our socializing and drinking). Monday I had 3 classes, Tuesday I had 2, Wednesday 1, and Thursday none. I did however, put that extra time to good use. I got all my notes organized (since two of my three exams are open note/open book) and got them printed off so I don't have to drag my laptop with me when I want to study.

Tuesday night I did a whiskey tasting. We had 10 different ones for 15 pounds. Not too bad. It was a lot of fun, but I still don't like whiskey (sorry dad). I'm sure the guys around me enjoyed the faces I was making, lol. However, I drank them all neat (no water for this chick) so I consider that an accomplishment on my end.

Wednesday night I went out with Jesse and we studied international law over a few pints. It was actually a really good study tactic because we were a little more relaxed. :)

Thursday it was absolutely gorgeous here. I mean, 72 degrees, the sun was shining! Definitely not a day you want to be stuck inside on. So Kevin, Jesse, and I went and got a picnic lunch (sandwich, crisps, and a drink for 3 pounds) and then headed to the river to go punting. We went on a guided tour instead of trying to figure it out for ourselves though. I think it was worth it. Then, since it was gorgeous, we went and hung out in one of the many many parks here in Cambridge for the afternoon. It was a lot of fun. I was supposed to do a wine tasting that night, but since I hadn't really studied, and had been out the previous two nights I went ahead and gave up my spot.

Friday the weather was back to cloudy and 65 (really cold for England this time of the year) so I did my studying at Starbucks for the afternoon. That night a bunch of us went out to a really nice meal at a restaurant around the corner. It was one of those 2 hour affairs. It was fun getting dressed up and going out though. I think everyone had fun. :) After dinner we all headed to the college bar and continued our fun evening there. It was a great evening all around.

Overall, it has been a good week. About half studying, half fun. I'll be sad to see it be done. I will say I'm looking forward to a few things when I get back to the States (and the heat is not one of them). Finals start on Monday. I have one each day M, T, W. The farewell dinner is on Wed night, and then it'll be off to London for a long weekend. I found out last night that there's a beer festival going on in London this week, Tuesday - Sunday, so I'm sure Kevin and I will make a stop there on Thursday before he heads to the airport to go home.

As for me, I plan to hit up a show or two, go to M&M World and the Churchill War Rooms. I'd also like to go to Camden Market, and maybe back to Greenwich. We'll see.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll try and update sometime next week, but if I don't, I'll update when I get back to the States! Have a good week everyone!

No comments: