Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Last Year Begins

Well folks, I am once again at the beginning of the end. I am starting my last year of law school. I am definitely going to be busy this semester. I am only taking 14 hours (as opposed to 15 or 16 hours like normal). I have 3 classes and a clinic.

My first class is Bankruptcy, and it is Mondays and Wednesdays form 1:30-3. I am very excited for this class. I am still not entirely sure about the material, but it's taught by the same professor who taught me Secured Transactions and I understood that very well. Also, everyone who took Bankruptcy last fall said it was a great class. On top of all of that, it is completely full of some of the best people in our 3L class. It's just great being in a class with about 60 of your friends.

My second class is Corporations on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30-11. That class I am less thrilled about. The professor talks more business than law, and there are 115 people in there. It's crazy! However, everyone I talked to said that the final exam was fairly easy. The main reason I'm taking the class is so when I get to the bar review next summer, I'll (hopefully) have some idea of what's going on.

My third class is Depositions and Negotiations on Tuesdays from 6-8:30. This class is one that I am very excited about. It is a pass/fail class, which is nice, and there are only 20 of us. For those of you who don't know, depositions are an important part of the law practice. They are basically interviews between a lawyer and a witness or defendant or plaintiff. It is used to get facts from a witness, and essentially find out what their testimony will be before trial. There is also an opportunity to cross them if you so choose, and there are limited objections, so you can get more information that could lead to admissible evidence in court. So we will learn how to conduct these depositions, and how to use them. We will actually conduct depositions as well. Obviously, the second part of the class is negotiations. We learn how to negotiate in a litigation setting, in a deal setting, and in a multi-party setting.

The last academic thing I am doing is the Child Advocacy Clinic. We have class periods on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30-5. I will also be assigned actual cases involving children (generally custody cases), and we'll be in charge of them. My partner and myself will interview the clients, and anybody who may have an opinion or information. Then we will make a recommendation on where the child should go. We will literally have their future in our hands (scary thought). For this class, it is a 5 hour graded class, but there is no final. I will have to complete 150 hours of work over the semester though (which makes me nervous, that is a lot of work). I am very excited to get going though. We get our first cases assigned to us on Monday.

In addition to school this year I am doing ballet again. I had so much fun last year doing it, that I am definitely doing it again. I have also joined a church choir. I am really excited. I've sung the past two Sundays with them, and it was so much fun. I'm looking forward to doing that this semester. And lastly, I am continuing with my other physical activities. Specifically, Zumba on Mondays with some friends, Yogalates on Tuesday/Thursday mornings (partly to get a parking spot, and partly because I enjoy it), and I am still training for a 5k. I am running a 5k Color Run in October. At each kilometer along the way they throw a different color on you so at the end you're a rainbow! My goal is to run the entire 5k in less than 36 minutes (which is a little bit faster than a 12 minute mile).

So that's my life! It's a good one so far. College football begins on Saturday, and I am very excited about that. Go Rebs!

No comments: