Sunday, July 15, 2012

Charleston with the Charles

Hello friends and family.

I know, it's been a long time. I am absolutely horrible at writing in this thing, but I do try.

So on June 29th I left for vacation. I was invited to go to Charleston, South Carolina with my boyfriend and his family. I was a little nervous, of course. I mean a week with my boyfriend's family. I have done that before in undergrad and it didn't really end so well... I was excited as well though.

The first weekend I spent in Atlanta visiting my college friend Stephanie. I got to see her new (to me at least) house that she is renting with her roommates. It's really nice. She has the two smaller bedrooms with a bathroom in between. We spent Friday night at a Braves game, which they lost, but ended in fireworks. Saturday we went to The World of Coke which was a lot of fun. I tried several coke products from around the world (don't ever try the Italian product, Beverly). Then we hit up The Varsity, a restaurant that can only be found in Georgia. That night we went to Stone Mountain Park to see the laser light show. We brought a picnic dinner and just hung out there for a few hours waiting for it to start. It was a lot of fun. 




 The vault where the Coke formula is kept


Stephanie and I are excited to try some Coke!


Mmmmm... Hotdogs and fries!


The laser light show at Stone Mountain is done up where that carving is.

The next morning, I left to meet Kevin at his parents' house in Eatonton. After meeting up there, we hit the road to Charleston. We actually stayed on the Isle of Palms, which is 20 minutes from downtown Charleston. We stayed at the Wild Dunes resort in a 2 bedroom, loft bedroom, 2.5 bath. It was Kevin, myself, his mom and dad, and his sister, brother-in-law, and 2 year old niece. Sunday night we ate dinner, and then went to the beach for 20 minutes before a storm blew in. Then Kevin, myself, his sister Katie, and brother-in-law Josh went out for drinks on Sullivan's Island, which was 15 minutes from where we were staying. We hit up a small pub, and the guy they had singing was pretty good. We all had a good time.

Monday we went to the beach for 3 or 4 hours. That afternoon Kevin and I went into town to check out the market while Claire (his niece) took a nap. We went to the Grand Pavilion that night for some ice cream and to watch the sun set.


I got to go run on the beach in the mornings as well. It was beautiful. Also, breezy, so that was nice.


Getting some sun at the beach!


I really like this picture of the two of us

Tuesday we all went into Charleston. Kevin and I went to the market again, and then went on a carriage ride through Charleston. Our guide was really funny and very knowledgeable. I learned a lot about the history of Charleston. That afternoon and evening was chill because Claire wasn't feeling well.


Our guide and horse taking our group around Charleston


This is the market. There are all sorts of vendors in there.

Wednesday was the 4th of July. Kevin, his dad, and Josh all went to play 18 holes of golf that morning and into the afternoon. Kevin's mom, Katie, Claire, and I all went to the beach. When Claire and Katie went back for Claire's nap, we stayed at the beach. Kevin's great Aunt is the City Manager of the Isle of Palms and had arranged for a fly over from some military planes across over the beach, and so she came out to see that with her husband. They brought some food as well. That  evening, we went over to their house to have dinner. There was burgers, hotdogs, BBQ, and Brunswick stew (a dish that Kevin's mom makes). They were so nice, and such great hosts. His great even invited us down to the pier where they were setting off the fireworks that night. It was so cool being that close.


Waiting for the fly over...


Just hanging out on the beach, getting some sun (yes, we did get in the water occasionally) 


Very happy to be on the beach!


Checking out the fireworks pre-show


Aren't we cute?


Ooooooo Ahhhhhhh

Thursday we all went out on his great aunt and uncle's boat to a small island. We had a blast. That afternoon I'm pretty sure we all took a nap. That evening we all went out for dinner at the golf course club house next to the condo we were staying in.


Claire and I hanging out on the boat together.


Kevin's mom (Lisa), Kevin's sister (Katie), Kevin's niece (Claire), and Kevin

Friday we all went into Charleston again. Kevin and I went out to Fort Sumter, which was pretty awesome. Also, if I didn't know how South Carolina started the civil war before then, I sure do now. It was explained to me at least 3 times. :) After that, we went to the USS Yorktown, an aircraft carrier, and explore it. It was pretty cool as well. That night all of us, including Kevin's great aunt and uncle, went out for one last dinner together. We ate at a restaurant down by the marina. I had almond encrusted flounder, and it was sooooooooooo good. I ate all of it and wanted more. After dinner we went out on the boat again.


Fort Sumter, we had to take a ferry to get there.


The USS Yorktown, a WWII aircraft carrier (small by today's standards)

Saturday we all headed back, but before Kevin and I did, we went to the Battery. It was pretty nice, and the houses around there date back to the colonial time period and some are still owned by the same family that built it! We headed back to his parents' house afterwards, and I spent the night there. The next morning, I got up and headed back to Memphis (hitting Oxford to pick up my mail on the way).


Row of houses leading to the Battery (there were quite a few for sale if anyone wants to loan me a few million dollars)


White Gardens Park, along the Battery

I had such an amazing time. And I think it's safe to say that his family is pretty ok with me (although I'm pretty sure they liked me before this too). It was never awkward, and I just felt like part of the family. I'm so glad I got to go.

Also, I got my birthday present from Kevin early, a Keruig Machine. Basically, a coffee maker that makes single serving sizes. (see below)
Anyways, I'll try and update again before the end of the summer. I can't believe there's only a month left. :(

No comments: