Friday, January 27, 2012

These.... are spirit fingers!

Pardon the reference to "Bring it On" in the title, it just seems appropriate.

So my life, it's been quite a whirlwind. I started back to school three weeks ago and this was the first week I haven't felt stressed to the max, which is nice. It was a pretty normal week as far as classes go. I am not always the best at paying attention in class, especially when professors go off on tangents (which happens more often than not, sorry to any professors who might stumble upon this post), but I am determined to pay attention in Civil Procedure II each class period, all class period. This is mainly b/c that class of 19 students is full of my classes top ranked students. Literally. About half that class amjured (got the best grade) in one of their classes last semester. It's a little nerve wracking, and if nothing else, if I end up at the bottom of the curve in this class it will not be from lack of trying (not that that particular problem has ever been an issue for me, but you know what I mean).

The best part about this week is that ballet started up again! Last fall I started taking adult ballet classes once a week with a law school friend of mine who teaches them. I loved it! It was something completely different, it was a pretty good work out, and it was a great way to just escape law school for an hour. We're going to be learning some actual routines this semester, and I'm pretty excited about that. I also did two dance company workshops this week. The local dance company "Hinge" is having tryouts this week, and to prepare they offered workshops Wed and Thurs to teach the combinations that would be used in tryouts. Now, i'm not trying out, but my friend (who teaches the ballet class and is a part of Hinge) invited me to come and do the dances.

Now, I'm not going to say I was amazing or the best one there. Not even by a long shot, but I can honestly say that I hung with those girls who had been dancing for years! I kept up, I stayed on beat, I could do all the moves, and I looked half decent doing them! If you had told me 6 mo. ago that I would have been able to do that after one day a week of dance for a semester, I would have laughed at you. It was a great feeling though. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point where some of those girls are, but I absolutely love dancing, and I will continue to do it for the foreseeable future (or at least through law school). I think I love it almost as much as I love softball, and for those who know me, that's a lot. :)

Another big thing this week, was that I signed up for the Spring Moot Court competition. This time around it is a mock trial. We got the problem yesterday evening, and we begin in a week. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have doubts about doing this. I literally sat, with check in hand, for about 10 minutes after the end of the informational session debating on whether to turn it in. However, in the end, I decided to go ahead and enter the competition if for no other reason than practice.

The last big thing that happened this week (and last week) is very exciting. Last week I sent out over 25 copies of my resume to Memphis judges seeking an internship for the summer, and although my first couple responses were not very promising, I've gotten a few responses offering me unpaid internships, which is fine because I will be living at home. So I'm moving forward with those, and with any luck I'll have a for sure job/internship for the summer. :)

That's all from here! Hope everyone's well. I'll update again soon.

No comments: