Sunday, September 27, 2009

To be or not to be... Single

In today's society, it seems to me that it is not "ok" to be single. If you are, then surely you are not happy. College students and Young adults, especially women, are always on the prowl for the love of their life. Those friends who are in a relationship are always trying to set you up, or see is there are any prospects on the horizon. They do mean well, but it is very annoying most of the time.

I have officially been single for the longest amount of time, since I started dating in high school. One year. I don't know if that is an accomplishment or not, but I don't care. Last year I didn't "want" a boyfriend because I wanted to figure out what I was doing after graduation, with as little outside influences as possible. I say "want" because that was the reason I gave myself for not having a boyfriend. And now? I guess I wouldn't mind having a boyfriend, but most of the time I don't notice that I don't. Except when I go out with my friend, her boyfriend, and all of her couple friends. Then I feel left out. I am always being asked what my prospects are. "Oh you met some cute guy at work? Do you think anything will happen?" "Ummm... He lives in Germany." "Yeah, so... do you think anything will happen?" or "So how's substituting?" "It's good." "Are there any cute guys?" "Umm... I work with high schoolers." "You know what I mean.Like other teachers?" Ugh... I know they mean well, but really. Come on now!

When did our society become all about who we're with? In the 60s didn't women march for the right to be independent? Where did that go? Why do we have to be with someone to be valid? I can't say that I've always felt this way, but I think I've been seeing things differently the longer I'm single. I still want a boyfriend, I want to fall in love, get married, and have a family, but I guess what I'm saying is... why do I have to do that right now? Maybe I'm totally off on my observations, but maybe I'm not. Just something to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kirsten, it is defintaly okay to be single! Much better to be single than in an unhappy or unhealthy relationship for sure. Take your time, figure out your life and know that the man for you is out there and you will meet him when the time is right. Love you! Heather