Thursday, June 23, 2011

I have arrived

So I've made it to Barrow and to my grandparents house.

For those of you who don't know. I am going to be studying abroad this summer. I'll be in Cambridge. I left on Tuesday and will be back on August 9. I'm spending the first few days in Barrow visiting my grandparents and Uncle. I left at 12:15 on Tuesday afternoon. Flew to NJ, and had a four hour lay over there. Then boarded a plane for 7 hours and headed to England. The plane was actually pretty nice. I flew into Manchester and the past couple times I (or my family) have done that we end up on the older planes that haven't been updated, and it seems very long because you don't have the individual tvs. So that's what I planned for. I had my Kindle, a book, my ipod, and my laptop w/ extra battery and DVDs. I was set. However, when I got on the plane, I realized it had been updated, and we not only had individual tvs, but also outlets. :) It was still a long flight, and I definitely didn't get any sleep (I can never sleep on planes), but I was entertained the whole way. :)

When I got to Manchester it was 7:40 in the morning, and I went through customs and got asked many questions about how long I would be there, why I was there, and why I had been there so many times before (apparently the UK doesn't like people visiting often, lol). After I got my luggage I headed to the train station where I got the 9:30am train to Barrow. It was a 3 hr train ride, and I arrived in Barrow at 12:30 completely exhausted, hungry, and feeling very dirty.

My main goal for yesterday was to beat the jet lag. I ended up taking a 2 hour nap, but was still exhausted afterwards. So when I went to bed at 10pm I expected to pass out. However, as soon as I laid down, my body had different plans, and it took me two hours to fall asleep.

This morning, I woke up very refreshed, and ready for the day. It's been quite nice here today. It was a little cloudy this morning, but this afternoon it was 60 and sunny. :-D Grandma and Granddad took me out to lunch, then Asda's so I could get a few things, and then they dropped me off by the market so I could walk around a little bit. When I was ready to head back, it took me a while to find Abbey Rd. so I could get back home, but I wasn't in any hurry, so it wasn't a big deal, and I eventually found my way (if only my little sister and her great sense of direction were here). :)

Anyways, that's about it from here, tomorrow I'm hoping to meet up w/ my friend Lauren here, so we'll see.

No comments: