Monday, June 27, 2011

Strangeness...

So, today was the first day of class. I'm taking 3 classes: International/Comparative Family Law - not gonna lie, the professor is pretty dry, and I most definitely almost fell asleep listening to him this morning (not a good thing since there's only 14 of us in there), but maybe it's just b/c it was the first day; International Law - we have a 75 year old professor who is very British and says some very random things ("Paris is great, but there's one drawback - the Parisians"); and Comparative Law - my professor for this class is from UTK and he seems pretty cool, and the class seems fairly interesting as well.

The meals are really good here. Typical English breakfast (complete w/ fry bread, which I didn't realize until about half way through eating a piece while trying to figure out why it tasted so weird). We also get and English dinner (not lunch) and it is like dinner. Today was stuffed Guinea or some sort of fish, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, and some other sides as well. They also have a fruit/salad bar, but apparently we're only supposed to get hot or cold, not both, and then we get dessert.

After lunch, we had a meeting where the important people at the college gave us the low down, and we got our internet passwords (which I actually don't need where I am). After that, Jesse, Kevin and I headed into town. We went to a dept. store first. I got a pillow and a fan (yay air). Then we went to the Sainsbury local (mini grocery store). I got some bottled water and some orange juice. Next stop (after dropping off what we had bought already) was to the book store to get our British texts, but they didn't have them, and so they're on order. After that we headed back to the college. Along the way we stopped at Starbuck's and then at a phone store. I got an English phone. I wasn't going to get one, but apparently, it's not like Harlaxton where only like one guy had a phone, pretty much everyone here has a phone, and so we're all communicating that way. So I used some of my birthday money that I got from Uncle David to get that. I can only call British Mobile phones, but I think that's all I'll need (unless I need to call the Porter's office). Anybody can call me though, and I'm almost positive it doesn't count towards my balance, so if you want the number, email/msg me.

This evening a bunch of us went to this Asian place to eat, but I wasn't all that hungry, so I just got something small. And now, at 9:30 pm, I'm finally getting around to doing my reading for tomorrow. This type of schedule is not going to fly for very much longer, that's for sure.

All is going well here, but at the same time, I feel like something's wrong. I'm not sure what, not even a little bit. But you know those feelings you get when you know something is not right? It's one of those. Usually, I come over here and I feel right at home, and when I was in Barrow I was, but something's different here. I dunno, maybe I'm imagining things, I just wish this feeling would go away.

Anyways, that's all from here, I really need to get some work done. I'll post some pics soon.

No comments: