Sunday, June 26, 2011

What a crazy day...

Wow. What a whirlwind day (to say the least). I am exhausted!

So this morning, I got up and Uncle David came and got me and offered to take me all the way to Preston instead of Lancaster, so I didn't have to change as much. When I got to Preston, I got my ticket, and it said I would get into Cambridge at 14:54, and would make two stops. One at London Euston, and one at Finsbury Park. So I got on the train and headed to London. All was going well, when all of sudden we got stopped. Apparently, someone had stolen 5 miles of signaling cable/equipment, and they were debating on whether to terminate our ride in Rugby, UK or go ahead and make our way through. After about 20 min of being stopped, they decided to go on through, BUT there was 2 trains in front of us that needed to go through as well. So when we got into Euston (finally) we were about an hour late.

I decided on the train that I would forgo the Finsbury stop (which only gave me 20 min to get there) and get the Kings Cross so I had about 45 minutes (plus Kings Cross was only one stop away). It's a good thing I decided to do Kings Cross, b/c as I found out later, Finsbury Park was closed, and the Victoria line was closed as well. Luckily, Kings Cross was on the Northern line, but it still took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what platform to go to. Once I got to Kings Cross underground, I then had to find the actual train station, which also proved difficult. Luckily, I found it in time to catch the Cambridge train. So I got to Cambridge, and as I was getting off the train, I saw a friend who was doing this program as well, and we grabbed a taxi together to the college.

When I got here, we had trouble finding the porter's lodge, and ended up needlessly dragging our luggage through gravel for about a block. Once we got here, they gave us our keys and showed us where to go. However, my door was broken, and I couldn't get in. So they put me in a different building, and let me choose the room, but the room I chose first was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot, and the ethernet connection was messed up, so I went to the Porter's and asked to change rooms.

Now this house/building I'm in now has a laundry room (yay free laundry), a kitchen, and my bedroom has my own personal bathroom (shower and all). Unfortunately/ Fortunately, we are right next to a pub. Literally. I can hear the conversations happening on the patio outside the pub. However, there are a bunch of us over here. They said once they get my room fixed I can take a look at it, and then decide where I want to stay. Right now my options are amenities vs. quiet. I'm not sure which is better. It's not like I'm going to be here on weekends (when I assume it's rowdiest), but I'm curious how late they chill outside, b/c if it's too late, I might bail on this room (and the amenities:-/).

Anyways, I made it and all is well. After an adventurous day I'm exhausted. I plan to grab a shower and hit the hay. G'night all!!!

No comments: